Welcome to 2014! So my first post for the year is about baking…yes I suspect that there may have been lots of indulging over the holidays and the last thing on anyone’s mind is food, but I wanted to share this recipe anyhow! Since I have family visiting over the next few weeks, I want to have something home baked for them to nibble on. Only problem is when it comes to baking sweet little cupcakes or any sort of divine cakes I am not all that in the kitchen. Generally speaking, I don’t like to follow recipes, all of that exact measuring totes drives my insane! I am much more of an off the cuff sort of gal. Sometime ago, I came across this recipe for banana muffins on the internet. It is seriously fail proof, even for baking goddess’s gone wrong like me. Every time I bake them, I am always surprised how delightfully fluffy and delicious these muffins are, and they are relatively guilt free! You will find the recipe below (it is Paleo), give it a go and let me know what you think. These babies are my go to for those baking or sweet craving emergencies! Thanks for reading.
Ingredients (makes 6 large muffins or 1 small loaf)
- 3 very ripe bananas (about 1/2 cup) mashed
- 3 eggs
- 2 teaspoons Vanilla Extract
- 1 teaspoon almond extract/almond butter (optional – I usually substitute for 1/2cup chopped dry roasted almonds)
- 1 tablespoon honey (agave or maple syprup also ok)
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted (or) 1 tablespoon vanilla coconut butter, melted
- 2 cups Almond Meal
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon Baking soda
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees and grease your muffin/loaf tin
- Add the bananas, eggs, vanilla, almond extract (or) almond butter (or) chopped almonds, honey and coconut oil (or) coconut butter in a bowl and mix to combine well
- Add in almond meal, salt and baking soda and combine well until batter is smooth
- Fill muffin/loaf tin with the batter and bake for 35 – 50 mins, until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool in the tin. Remove from the tin and serve.
Icing is optional as these muffins are delicious on their own. I have topped my muffins with mascarpone and coconut shavings. They usually last around 2-3 days refrigerated. Or if you live in my house usually only one day!
If you are interested to know more about Paleo or want to buy some specialty products, check out my friends website My Paleo for more info.
All pics are my own.